If you are seeing crashes in the ArtRage Android apps, you may be able to fix this by following the steps below. Android apps can crash for many reasons, such as lack of memory or corrupted data. If your crash is caused by a bug in ArtRage, we will need to know what happened when you followed these steps, so that we can find and fix the problem.
Before doing any other troubleshooting:
- Check to see if there are any updates available for the app (we may have fixed the problem already!).
- Check how much memory is available on your device (both storage and memory usage when ArtRage is active). If you do not have enough memory left, your device will shut ArtRage down to save memory.
If ArtRage crashes randomly, while starting up, or while creating or working on paintings:
Android apps can crash for a lot of different reasons, including bugs or corrupted resources in the app, operating system bugs or conflicts, and lack of memory. You may be able to fix the problem working through these steps, but if you can’t, you will be able to narrow down the cause and help us troubleshoot more effectively.
- Go to Settings > Application Manager > ArtRage and delete the cache (this will delete any unsaved work, so save your painting first!)
- Go back and delete the Settings (this will delete the licence data and personal preferences, like your last used tools and canvas size, but will not affect your actual paintings).
- Reinstalling the app is also a quick way to reset everything (again, you will not lose your paintings).
If clearing out the app data doesn’t help:
- Browse directly to the ‘/ArtRage’ folder on your device and delete or rename it (if you have any custom presets, you should rename the folder, or save them somewhere). This will clear out any corrupted resources. ArtRage will create a new folder when the app restarts.
If ArtRage only crashes when you go to the gallery:
This is usually caused by either a lack of memory or a corrupted painting. There will usually be a warning notice in the gallery itself if your gallery is too large. The fix is the same for both problems, so it doesn’t matter which one it is.
Browse directly to /ArtRagePaintings on your device and delete or rename it (this is where all your paintings are stored. You should save them somewhere or just rename the folder if you do not want to lose your files). ArtRage will create a new folder when the app restarts.
If you stop seeing any crashes, then you can copy some of your paintings back into the new /ArtRagePaintings folder to work on. If you start seeing crashes again, then either you have added too many paintings or one specific painting is causing the problem and needs to be taken back out again.
If ArtRage still crashes after doing everything else:
If you have followed all the steps above, then you probably can’t fix the problem yourself and will need to contact us.
Contact us directly via the support form. Tell us what device you are using, what operating system version, whether you have followed the steps on this page, and if you have submitted a crash report (we will need to know your device details to identify it).
If you get the option to submit a crash report after a crash, please send it. It gives us data that we can’t get otherwise. If you can spot any pattern (e.g. the crash always happens with a certain preset, painting, or action), please let us know.