Frequently Asked Questions
Artrage 4.5 Incremental Updates
A history of bug fixes and new features found in the version updates for ArtRage 4.5. These are free incremental updates for improving your purchased software.
ArtRage Lite uses the same version number and is updated at the same time as ArtRage 4, as it has the same bugs, compatibility requirements, and improvements. With the exception of features that are only found in ArtRage 4, all of the updates below also apply to ArtRage Lite.
- Support for AES styluses on Windows that provide stylus ID information. This allows ArtRage to recognise different AES styluses and allocate tools to them via the Stylus Manager in the application.
- Realtime Stylus: Fixed a potential slowdown that could occur after painting for some time using a Realtime Stylus input device.
- Scripts: Fixed a crash that could occur when using a manually written script to trigger a file dialog.
- Transform Shortcuts: Fixed a bug that prevented zoom shortcuts working during transform.
- Blend Modes: Made some changes to saturation blend mode to match the approach taken by Photoshop.
- Mac OS X: Fixed a problem that prevented the app properly leaving full screen mode if it had been entered via the + button on the window titlebar.
- Tool settings that were set to modify using the mouse wheel would reset to 0% when the application was reloaded.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the sticker spray with symmetry turned on.
- Fixed a bug that prevented ink pen settings working correctly in all symmetry segments other than the one being painted to unless those settings were modified after symmetry was activated.
- Fixed a bug that prevented reference images and stencils being removed from the Toolbox Panel when they were removed from the canvas.
- Mac OS X only: Changes to help work around the lag in tablet events that appeared in OS X 10.11.
- Re-implemented 32 bit support on Mac OS X.
- Fixed a bug that could cause colour sampling issues if running on multi-monitors with a canvas smaller than the window.
- Fixed a bug that prevented individual panel scales being saved to preferences.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Art Pen toggle being applied when loading Felt Pen presets.
- Fixed a colour sampling issue that could occur when ArtRage wasn’t in fullscreen mode
- Fixed a crash that could occur on Win10 when Multithreading was turned on.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in the OS X font system when ArtRage launched on OS X.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when playing back scripts that had Swatch display modes adjusted during recording.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent brush size being properly read from scripts. The scripts contain the right data so playback of existing scripts should be improved.
- Fixed a problem that could make the preview area in adjustment dialogues undraggable on devices that have specific combinations of Wacom drivers and Realtime Stylus input.
- Fixed a bug that prevented canvas presets clearing Paper Patterns if they did not contain one themselves.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if a document with a damaged reference image entry was loaded and the references panel opened.
- Updated OS X build settings to restore 32-bit functionality to the application.
Windows 2-in-1 Support: ArtRage 4.5.4 includes support for Windows devices that include a ‘2-in-1’ switch. In general these devices are tablet devices with a docking system, or laptop devices with the ability to switch to tablet mode. ArtRage can be set to respond when compatible devices switch between desktop/tablet mode by turning on the 2-in-1 preference in the Advanced section of the Preferences Panel. When a compatible device switches to Tablet mode, ArtRage increases the scale of its user interface slightly to aid touch accessibility. This preference is turned off by default.
Important Note: Due to the way 2-in-1 switching is handled by Windows, devices that do not support it (including desktop computers) report to applications that they are always in Tablet mode. Please do not turn this preference on if you are not sure that you are using a 2-in-1 device.
- Added an Online Printing feature.
- Fixed a bug that caused Export Image to fail when exporting from a Layer to PNG or PSD on Mac OS X specifically.
- Fixed a problem in the Windows 64-bit executable version manifest that could cause system log warnings and potentially crashes on some machines with specific user permission settings.
- Fixed a problem in scripts that could cause extremely light strokes to be too heavy on playback. This change should allow some scripts that have problems with strokes being too dark to play back correctly.
- Fixed a problem that could cause a script to go in to Stopped state incorrectly during playback.
- Fixed a problem that could cause script playback errors when smart quotation marks were entered in a script file.
- Fixed a bug that caused save to fail when running ArtRage on Mac OS X in a language other than English that ArtRage supports natively (FR, DE, NL, ES, JA, RU).
- Fixed a bug that caused the rotational component of live tilted pencils to adjust based on stroke direction on OS X, causing darker edges of tilted strokes to shift sides based on stroke angle rather than pen angle.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the app recognising 32 bit Photoshop plugins when in 32 bit mode on Windows.
- Fixed a bug that prevented package files created on Windows from being installed on Mac OS X.
- Fixed a bug that caused problems with Colour Adjustment when played back from a script with a non-rectangular selection active.
- Fixed a bug that prevented right click menus in Scraps and Views processing on OS X in 64 bit mode.
- Fixed an installer bug that prevented the desktop shortcut being installed on Windows when requested.
- Fixed an installer bug that assigned incorrect icons to the various ArtRage file types on Windows.
- 64-Bit Support: ArtRage 4.5 now supports 64 bit operating systems, which means it can use significantly more memory on your 64 bit computer. As a result the application is significantly faster and can work with much larger canvases than it could previously. See below for details.
- Grids: The Grids button on the ArtRage menu bar lets you turn on canvas grid overlays which can be used as structural guides while you paint.
- Live Pencil Tilt: The pencil tool now supports Stylus Tilt where available, allowing you to tilt the pencil during strokes to vary the breadth of the ‘lead’ impression on the canvas.
- Font Picker & Text Adjustments: We’ve added a font picker panel to make font selection easier, and adjusted how text behaves. See below for details.
- List Item Reorganisation: You can now manually reorder color samples and toolbox panel items by dragging them in their list.
- Workbench Reorganisation: You can now manually reorder items on the pinboard, and there is a new Color Samples section to the Workbench that prevents samples from interfering with Pinboard space.
- Multitouch on OS X: We’ve added Scale and Rotate gesture support on OS X if you’re using an input device that provides them.
- Resource Duplicate / Move: You can now duplicate items in resource collections and move items between collections by right clicking them and selecting the appropriate option.
- Selection sets are now saved with documents: Active selection sets will now be saved with your document so that they are available on reload.
- Significantly improved the speed of transform operations on the canvas, beyond the standard speed increase in the 64 bit version.
- Significantly improved the speed of large Undo and Redo operations, beyond the standard speed increase in the 64 bit version.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the selection tool to fail to work on in some modes on a small number of Windows 8 devices using some stylus input
- Fixed a bug that could cause strokes made after the eraser tip of a stylus was used during scripting to be recorded as eraser rather than the correct tool.
- Stencil removal added to scripting.
- Clone tool has been added to scripting.
- Added initial selection set state to scripts that were started with the current canvas included.
- Fixed artefacts that could occur while dragging transform areas.
- Prevented the text tool selecting text on a hidden layer when clicking on the canvas to select a text layer.
- Fixed a bug that caused paint stroke grain interactions to be offset from the position of the visible grain in the canvas.
- Fixed a bug that caused pencil strokes to project slightly beyond the point at which stroke drag ended.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Save Toolbox from working if your toolbox only contained color samples.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the workbench updating if you loaded a toolbox while the workbench was open.
- Added Shift + K as the default shortcut for the clone tool – Note that you will need to reset your keyboard shortcuts to see this.
- Moved Global Color Samples to their own file so that resetting preferences no longer resets them as well.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the wrong preset to be highlighted as ‘active’ when you load a painting file – Only files saved in 4.5 or later will highlight the correct preset, earlier files don’t contain the information required.
- Disabled file based editing options in the right click menu for Rulers in the Stencil Panel to prevent ‘File Not Found’ errors when those operations were attempted on the virtual ruler.
- Fixed a bug that could cause symmetry reflected tools to use the wrong settings if switching between some specific presets with the symmetry system active.
- Adjusted colour sampler drag to hide interface panels as the input point approaches them.
- Prevented Manual Tracing Image Scale options being available when other tracing scale modes are active.
- Added About and Preferences items to the standard application menu location on the OS X menu bar.
- Fixed a bug that could cause some PSD files to import filled with black.
- Fixed a bug that prevented custom colour pickers being deleted from their resource collection panel.
- Improved file handling on OS X 10.9 to prevent issues where file names and paths contained / characters.
- Adjusted sticker sheets so that the sheet vanishes temporarily as you peel a sticker off, allowing for placement beneath it on the canvas.
- Fixed a bug that made pinboard indicators in the Toolbox incorrectly greyed out when an object was first added to the list.
- Adjusted the error message displayed when attempting to import a non-image file in to a map slot in the sticker creator to remove the ‘success’ indicator.
- Fixed a bug that caused multitouch panning on OS X 10.9 to work slowly.
Mac OS X: The ArtRage installer installs a single application that works in both 32 and 64 bit modes. By default the application opens in the mode appropriate to the computer you are running on. 64 bit OS users can force the application to run in 32 bit mode by selecting the ArtRage icon in the Applications folder, select Get Info from the Finder’s File Menu and turning on the ’32 bit Mode’ checkbox. Turning that off will revert the application to 64 bit next time it launches.
Windows: The ArtRage installer detects the type of operating system you are using and installs the appropriate version. If you are using a 32 bit operating system only the 32 bit version is installed. If you are using a 64 bit operating system the ArtRage.exe that is installed will be 64 bit but we also install ArtRage32.exe, a 32 bit version that you can launch if you need to. Please note that the installation location of ArtRage 4.5 may be in either the Program Files (x86) folder if you had a previous version installed, or the Program Files folder – The installation location makes no difference to whether the 64 bit version will launch correctly.
Windows XP Users: Unfortunately ArtRage 4.5 is not compatible with Windows XP. Owners of ArtRage 4 purchased from our store can still download the older 4.0 version from the Member Area whenever you need it but the updated version will not work on your operating system. Owners of ArtRage 4 on Steam can opt in to the Windows XP Branch of the product by locating ArtRage in your Library, right clicking and selection Properties, then in the Beta Tab opting in to the WinXP branch. This will make sure that your version of ArtRage remains at 4.0.
ArtRage 4.5 treats text slightly differently to the older version in order to fix some problems that could arise when selecting fonts without a text layer active. When you select a font, what happens depends upon the current active text selection you have. Here’s how it works:
- If you have an active text selection, that text is updated to the new selected font.
- If you have a caret active in a text layer but no selection, the new font is used when you start typing.
- If you have no caret active but you are on a text layer, the entire layer is updated to the new font.
- If you do not have a text layer active, the font selection remains and that font will be used next time you create a new text object.
- The new Font Picker allows you to select fonts from a dialog list rather than a menu. It supports navigation keys for scrolling and you can start to type the name of the font you want to skip to that point in the list. Double click a font or select it then click OK to choose the new font.
- Items in the Color Samples panel, Toolbox panel, Workbench Color Samples area, and Pinboard can now be dragged to reposition them manually.
- Items in the Color Samples panel can be dragged between the Global and Local sections if you want, or just rearranged inside their own section.
- Items in the Toolbox panel can only be dragged within their own category. For example, you can’t drag a Preset in to the Stencils category.
- The Workbench Color Samples area is a resizable area that lists all of the current Toolbox Samples if any exist – You can resize this area as you want and as samples get added they will expand downwards within that area rather than eating in to the Pinboard.
- Items on the Pinboard when in Workbench mode can be reordered around each other as you wish.
- Fixed a bug in 4.0.5 that prevented check for updates completing the check.
Note: Because the bug in 4.0.5 relates to update checking, the Steam version does not require this update.
We’ve made some changes to the way ArtRage handles pressure ranges on Windows systems that use the Realtime Stylus for tablet support and have more than one digitiser device registered with the system. This should address low pressure ranges reported on the new Sony Vaio devices that were experiencing problems with light strokes. It should also allow support for correct pressure input on devices that have multiple digitisers plugged in.
- Fixed a problem that could cause PSD files written by some applications other than Photoshop importing with bad layer data.
- Fixed a bug that could cause menus on OS X to become inaccessible after attempting to use Adjust Colors or other layer editing effects on a hidden layer.
- Fixed a problem that could cause cursor behaviour issues on Windows running with a 150% magnified screen. See technical notes here.
- Fixed a bug that could prevent Package Files written in ArtRage 3 that contained Chalk presets not to install properly in ArtRage 4.
- Fixed a memory leak that could occur on uninstalling Package Files.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in situations where the app was unable to read the contents of the Tool Presets Collection folders.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the app to become unresponsive on OS X when checking for updates in full screen mode.
- Fixed a bug that allowed menus on OS X to be accessed while a modal panel was up.
- Fixed a bug that caused non-compressed PSD files to appear with a black background on import.
- Fixed a bug that caused files that had a group as their base layer to save without creating a pseudo-canvas layer when exporting to PSD.
- Fixed a bug that caused DPI and Unit Type changes made while using the Resize panel to be lost on apply.
- Fixed a problem that could cause script nesting errors in long scripts when rulers had been applied and removed.
- Fixed a bug that caused DPI and Unit Type changes made while using the Resize panel to be lost on apply.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the layout of the toolbox panel to be incorrect if Show Samples With Names was toggled when no toolbox samples had been added and the toolbox panel was open.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur on OS X when using a complex selection set in a large document and triggering transform.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when using auto-repeating tools such as the airbrush or wet blenders in scraps and views.
Changes & Additions
- Made a change to memory handling that should allow addressing of larger memory space on Windows. Previous builds were not using the full 32 bit address range.
- Adjusted the layout of the Samples panel to reduce Herman Grid illusion problems.
- Clicking the entry for a reference in the Reference panel now brings that reference to the top.
- Exporting a layer will now set the default name of the exported file to the layer’s name if it has one.
- Added tooltips to the Workbench toolbar for the Tool Picker, Tool Size, Layer Control, and Zoom Level Control.
- Corrected an incorrect reference to the suffix of ptgback files in the manual.
- Corrected the palette knife manual entry to indicate that paint can be applied by the knife if loading is over 0%.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when importing image files in some situations, probably relating to default canvases.
- Fixed a crash that could occur at the end of a paint stroke on Windows with some driver/hardware combinations. This could also cause modal panels such as the Preferences Panel to become unresponsive.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when running in Japanese on OS X when using sliders repeatedly
Other Fixes & Adjustments
- Fixed a bug that caused the ArtRage window to shift downwards on the screen on OS X when starting the app if it wasn’t in full screen mode.
- Fixed a bug that could cause stencils added to the toolbox to change type after reloading the document they were stored in.
- Adjusted keyboard handling to speed up response to Wacom touch ring events on OS X – Events were being cached so continuing to process after the touch ring was released.
- Fixed a bug that could cause corruption on a new layer that was created by duplicating a hidden layer that had metallic paint on it.
- Fixed a bug that prevented file type selection being properly persisted in export dialogues on OS X.
- Fixed some minor errors in the Russian translation.
- Added some missing localised strings in the Japanese translation.
- Added checkboxes back in to script playback dialogues for scripts that require user input, eg. ‘Merge Layers’ option in the Drop Shadow script.
- Adjusted the ‘Coarse Canvas’ grain to remove some tiling artifacts.
- Fixed a problem on OS X that could cause panel positioning and window visibility problems when using ArtRage with two monitors.
- Fixed a bug that caused presets to be installed in the wrong location by Package Files.
- Fixed a crash that could occur if adding a group with a / in the name to the sticker collection.
- Fixed a problem that could cause loss of input operations when right clicking during while touching the canvas during application of a transform operation.
How to I tell what version I am running and whether it is 64 bit?
If you aren’t sure whether you are running ArtRage 4.5 in 32 bit or 64 bit mode, there are two easy ways to find out.
1. Look at the splash screen on start up.
2. Look at the ‘about’ pop up window.
Go to Help > About ArtRage (Ctrl + 1) and look in the bottom right corner of the pop up window.
This is also how to check the version number.
32 bit Photoshop Filters
If you have 32 Bit Photoshop filters that are 32 bit, then these won’t run in 64 bit ArtRage 4.5. However, both OS X and Windows versions have the ability to run in 32 bit mode if they need it.
Mac OS X
On OS X, select the application icon and choose Get Info from the Finder’s File menu, then turn on the 32-bit Mode toggle in the info panel and the app will launch in 32 bit mode.
On a Windows 64 bit system we install 2 files: ArtRage.exe which is 64 bit, and ArtRage32.exe which is 32 bit.
To open “ArtRage32.exe”:
- Either locate the shortcut to ArtRage32 in the Start menu
- Or manually open ArtRage32.exe from the folder it is installed to. The file path is Program Files > Ambient Design > ArtRage 4 > ArtRage32.exe