Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t open your ArtRage Touch painting files, they are probably too large for the app. There is an issue with some devices with larger screen resolutions overriding the canvas size defaults – basically, they have created paintings too large for the app to re-open.
If you have a licence for a desktop version of ArtRage, then just install that on your Surface Pro (or other device), open them, and change them to be 2048×2048 pixels or less and it should solve it. The free demo will work as well, but it will save the files as much smaller paintings (maximum size is 1280×1024).
If you keep an eye on the canvas size when creating new paintings, you can manually change it down to 2048 pixels or less for width and height and avoid this problem.
Why don’t the mobile apps support canvas rotation?
The ArtRage Mobile apps (iOS, Android and Windows Touch) don’t support canvas rotation (the ability to just turn the canvas around using fingers), but we added it as an option to the iPad app in 2015.
This is because canvas rotation is memory intensive feature which isn’t absolutely necessary, as it is possible to rotate the entire device. While we may consider adding this feature in the future, we will only add it if it does not compromise app performance. Currently, most devices will struggle with this feature.
How can I rotate the canvas?
ArtRage for Android
The entire canvas and interface will rotate as you turn the device. To prevent this, you can turn on “Lock Interface Rotation” under Settings.
ArtRage for iPad
Update 2.1 added canvas rotation to the iPad app, as most current iPads can now handle the performance requirements, and the iPad Pro is too large to physically turn easily.
- Default Setting: The interface will rotate as you turn the device, but the canvas will not.
- Canvas Rotation Active: You can turn ‘Canvas Rotation’ on by going into the menu > Preferences. This will allow you to turn the canvas using two finger gestures while you work.
- 15 Degree Increments: You can ‘lock’ the rotation angles to 15 degree increments in Preferences, or allow the canvas to turn freely.
ArtRage for iPhone
Neither the interface nor the canvas will rotate when you turn the device.
ArtRage Touch (Windows 8)
The interface will rotate as you turn the device, but the canvas will not. You can also use the Canvas Positioner to rotate the canvas. The Canvas Positioner is a floating ‘compass’ that allows you to turn, scale and move the canvas, similar to the desktop versions. Find it by going to Layers > menu button in the top right > Canvas Positioner.
Can’t install or run ArtRage Touch from the Windows App Store
If you are having problems installing or accessing ArtRage Touch, this is usually due to a licence or connection problem between your computer and the Windows App Store. Unfortunately, we can’t help directly with most of these issues, but there are a few steps that we can suggest to fix this.
- Check that your device is connected to the internet properly.
- If you are connecting through a proxy or have an antivirus program active, it may interfere with the connection. Try disabling it and attempting to install or run ArtRage Touch again.
Clear the Windows Store Cache
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Enter run in the search box, and then tap or click Run.
- Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click OK.
Sync app licenses
If a license for an app is out of sync with the license installed on your PC, the app might not work. To sync your app licenses, follow these steps:
- On the Start screen, tap or click Store to open the Windows Store.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)
- Tap or click App updates.
- Tap or click Sync licenses.
Run the Microsoft App Troubleshooter
The Microsoft App Troubleshooter is a small program that should automatically fix most common issues with the app, store or your account.