Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find ArtRage Studio Pro 4 or ArtRage Pro?
You can’t, it doesn’t exist!
Or rather, that product name doesn’t exist. When we first released ArtRage 3, it was split into casual and professional editions. We had to differentiate them, so we gave them slightly different names: Studio and Studio Pro.
However, we decided this was too confusing for users, so we merged the two editions when we brought out ArtRage 4, and dropped the “Studio” part entirely.
So the latest edition is only called ArtRage 4.
If you see someone selling ArtRage Studio Pro 4, then they are probably not selling ArtRage 4. They are usually selling an older version of ArtRage 3 and are almost definitely not a legitimate seller.
Which folders does ArtRage 4.5 install to when I update to it?
There are two standard places for programs to be installed on the C:// drive on Windows: Program Files and Program Files (x86). Traditionally, the (x86) folder is used for 32 bit applications and the Program Files folder is used for 64 bit applications.
However, this is simply a matter of organisation and it does not actually matter which folder an application installs to. 64 bit applications work fine from the (x86) folder and still run in 64 bit mode, the two folders are just folders, they have no special effect on how the operating system handles their contents.
Where does ArtRage 4.5 install?
ArtRage 4.5 installs to either of the above folders depending on the following:
- If you had a previous version of ArtRage installed the 4.5 update installs over that old version.
- If you did not have a previous version of ArtRage installed the 4.5 update installs either:
- To Program Files (x86) if you are running 32 bit Windows.
- To Program Files if you are running 64 bit Windows.
This means that if you had a version of ArtRage 4.0 installed in Program Files (x86) the new 4.5 update will install to that folder as well, even if you are using 64 bit Windows. This prevents shortcuts, file associations, and Windows Installer records being damaged.
As noted above, this has no effect whatsoever on the performance of the application.
Copy over ArtRage 3 Custom Resources
ArtRage 4 places custom resources in a different location to previous versions of ArtRage. This means that when you first start it, any custom resources you have created such as Presets, Stencils, Stickers etc. will not be available in the new product.
There is a shortcut built in to ArtRage 4 to help migrate resources over to the new product. Because these custom content items are all files on disk, they are easy to copy over. Here’s how you do it…
Copying Custom Resources From ArtRage 3:
- Open up ArtRage 4.
- In the Tools Menu locate the ‘User Content’ menu.
- At the top of the User Content menu is ‘Open User Content Folder…’ Select that menu item. This opens up the User Content folder for ArtRage 4. This folder is called ‘Custom Content’.
- Leave that folder open and return to ArtRage.
- Return to the Tools menu and locate the User Content menu again. This time, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and select ‘Open User Content Folder…’ This opens up the User Content folder on your computer from ArtRage Studio or ArtRage Studio Pro. This folder is called ‘Resources’.
- Copy all of the folders from the old ArtRage Studio / ArtRage Studio Pro ‘Resources’ folder to the new ‘Custom Content’ folder.
- Restart ArtRage 4.
If nothing happens when you do step 5, the folder didn’t exist so you have no user content to copy over.
You have now copied all of the custom content you installed or created in ArtRage 3 to your ArtRage 4 installation.
How do I update ArtRage to the latest version?
Incremental updates are provided freely from time to time for our products. The latest versions may contain bug fixes and/or enhancements, etc.
To download updates you will need to register an account with us at //members.artrage.com unless you are using a mobile iOS version or bought your copy of ArtRage through Steam. Both of these install updates automatically through iTunes and Steam and cannot be registered in the Member Area. All other desktop editions can be registered normally.
There is an internal update check in ArtRage. If you leave this on, the pop up News Panel will inform you if there is a new version, and provide a button to link to the Member Area.
If you have turned the update check off, you can perform it manually through the Help menu.
Select ‘Help > Check For Updates’ from the menus inside the product.
ArtRage Studio / Studio Pro
Select ‘Help > ArtRage News and Updates’ from the menus inside the product.
To update ArtRage, open ArtRage’s Help menu and click on ‘Check for updates online’.
The old internal update system on ArtRage 2 does not work with our current website. You can download the latest version of ArtRage directly from //members.artrage.com.
ArtRage 2 is an old product. The latest version is 2.6, and there are unlikely to be any future updates.
What do I get if I register my copy of ArtRage?
We highly recommend that you register your ArtRage serial number in the member area, because it allows you to:
- Download the latest version of your software whenever you need it (including when you need to update)
- Download the different installers for Mac OS X and Windows
- Keep a record of your serial number in a secure place in case you lose your details
- Access upgrade discounts to the latest edition
If you are having problems registering, see:
I have a previous version of ArtRage, do I get a discount if upgrading
Owners of previous versions of ArtRage including ArtRage 2, ArtRage Studio, Studio Pro, and ArtRage 4 are eligible for a discount on upgrading to the latest version of ArtRage.
For more information, see ArtRage Upgrades.